What the Hell

What the Hell

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Paint, Pajamas and Feathering the Nest

I have been meaning to write a longer piece about this subject, and I still will, but for now I just want to get it down on paper.  Or, pixels, so to speak.  Women nest.  I'm not being sexist in saying this, and I'm sure some of our male friends are prone to fits of it as well, but not in the habitual, comfortable, dare I say, necessary ways we do.  We especially turn up the volume at those pivotal moments in our lives such as a moving into a new home, bringing home a new child, or when life gets so threatening outside our four walls that sometimes that it somehow makes us feel better and more secure to cocoon in our own sanctuary...as if we can at least control our little corner of the world.  We move furniture, change the curtains, repaint the walls a different color, and in many other ways cosy up our abode.  It must be hormones; I don't know how else to explain it.  The female of any species does it.  Watch the songbirds, the squirrels, the mother cat or dog.  But I think about it, not just when I do it myself, but nearly every time I glance down at my pajamas.  See, I wear pajamas nearly all the time...sometimes even out to the store with a coat over them.  I work at mostly at home so it's not as bad as it sounds.  Plus they are comfortable, soothing, nurturing; like the blanket or teddy bear you carried around during your childhood.  How can anything too awful happen to you in your pajamas?  Interestingly, in my case, every pair I own is splattered somewhere with at least one color of paint from one of the houses I've lived in....evidence of my endless process of recreating myself and my life by recreating my environment, all done in the supreme comfort of my favorite outfit.  It will be that time of year soon when we start fluttering around doing that other related activity...spring cleaning, the time of rebirth and new beginnings.  What will the future bring?  What will we decide to bring with us into it, and what will we leave behind?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do want to connect with other people out there, but PLEASE keep it clean and civil. Or else I will have to block you. And please do not use bad grammar or seriously misspelled words. I hate that. It is just a thing with me.
Have a nice day!